Gibblers

Monday, April 19, 2021

 The Top Ten Best Movies That I Saw in 2020

1. Mank (2020) - It's black and white! It's on Netflix! Why are you so lazy that you haven't seen this David Fincher masterpiece? I blame your parents, really.
2. Underwater (2020) - A truly amazing and comically (sad comedy) underrated mashup of Alien, The Abyss, and maybe one or two other kickass sci-fi flicks. This movie is better than the first Wonder Woman (sorry, just threw that last bit in for Wesley, lol).
3. What Keeps You Alive (2018) - Don't even want to say what this one is about. Don't want you to read the plot synopsis, either. Just watch the movie.
4. The Vast of Night (2019) - UFOs? Definitely maybe. An Amazon movie. Okay, goddammit, I guess I'm glad that I'm a fucking Prime member again.

5. Ammonite (2020) he best lesbian romance film since Blue Is The Warmest Color. The romance here is more mature, more dangerous, maybe more desperate--but the aching to love and be loved expressed by paleontologist Mary Anning (Winslet) and depressed as hell housewife Charlotte Murchison (Ronan) is just so raw, so fucking beautiful, that I don't know why anyone would give a fuck if it actually happened. Hell, if I become famous and they make a movie about me someday, feel free to say Tom Cruise and I shared a forbidden love until he made me do skydiving with him or sumshit and we died doing what we loved: being with Tom Cruise.
6. The Assistant (2019) - Wesley and I saw this flick at the Tivoli, pre-pandemic. Great slow burn character study. Kind've a bummer.
7. The Lodge (2019) - Think Wesley and I saw this'un at Ronnies; again, pre-pandemic. We say "Two thumbs up" to this creepy indy horror flick. Will Siskel and Ebert sue us? Sadly no...they're dead.
8. The Rhythm Section (2020) - A reasonably kickass revenge thriller starring Blake Lively that somehow ain't cool with the cool kids (or most average moviegoers). Also better than the first Wonder Woman.
9. All In: The Fight for Democracy (2020) - After I saw this doc, I thought, "Sounds like democracy's getting its ass kicked." Then the election happened months later, then Georgia happened, and I thought, "Huh. Stacey Abrams kicked the asses of those who were kicking democracy's ass. God bless her."
10. Extraction (2020) - Mostly mindless action scenes someone strung together till they reached movie length, I suppose, but damn: some action scenes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home