Gibblers

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Waitress

I saw that movie "Waitress" today with Keri Russell and the late Adrienne Shelly, who also wrote and directed it. It was delightful. And I don't care what Joe W. says, I like Andy Griffith and I really liked him in this flick. It is very sad to me that a great talent like Adrienne Shelly is only now getting the widespread recognition she deserves in light of her untimely death.

I go to the Notable Names Database (nndb.com) every day to get the scoop on people and what they're doing and who they're sleeping with and what their sexual orientation is, among other things. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed to see that Ms. Shelly was not included on NNDB for even months after her death, even. She has a profile now, I'm happy to say, but it came much later than it should have, later than the one they created for the Virginia Tech killer almost immediately after that incident occured.

I guess my question is, how do most people define the word "notable?" Wikipedia says it also seeks to publish information about "notable persons" in our society, and differentiates notable from words like "famous" and "infamous." I recently went on Wikipedia to search for the name of my former guru Joe W. and, I shit you not, the article had been tagged because someone had questioned its notablity. It wasn't me.

Here is something else--NNDB classifies people by gender, religion, race, sexual orientation, occupation, and nationality. They also used to include a heading "level of fame." The levels of fame were, from least to greatest, "niche," "somewhat," "famous," and "icon." For icon, you could even click on the word and get a list of everyone they classified as an icon, such as George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, the Pope (John Paul II), and Mary Tyler Moore. No shit. But now they've done away with that, and I wonder why. In my own sick, twisted way I rather like searching for celebrities by level of fame, taking great pleasure in people I like being classified above people I don't like as much. For instance, Donna Reed was classified as "famous" while Barbara Bel Geddes was classified as "somewhat." That means more to me than it does to you.

To view Adrienne Shelly's NNDB profile click here.

To view Seung-Hui Cho's NNDB profile click here.

To view the Wikipedia entry on Joe W. (notability no longer questioned) click here.

By the way, I've altered the spelling of my name because it occurred to me that posting as Carroll Gardens is a bit like posting as "Columbia Grad" or "Writer." That is, it describes a lot of people. And I suppose there are a lot of people who watch the Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network and love to watch Ina Garten cook. Anyway, that's how I chose my new name.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gerry said...

hey educated bowler,

Have you watched this new movie (I think it was called zoo) where some guy gets it from a horse. The critics says it is a must see. Seems to be the kind of movie that Joe goes for.

9:27 AM  
Blogger TXB said...

I hope the whole movie isn't about the guy getting it from the horse. Anyhoo, I may check out "Waitress" cuz I digged A.S.'s acting work over the years. She's in this pretty obscure Hal Hartley movie called "Trust," which is just totally awesome and totally unknown. The only people I'm sure have seen it are the two or three people I've made watch my crappy videotape copy that my bro got off cable years ago. But if'n ye gibblers can track it down on Netflix or whatever, you should check it out.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Gerry said...

almost lost my soda due to txb's first sentence of his comment- and would say that "trust" does have a good description of my career

7:12 AM  
Blogger Carroll Garten said...

I haven't see the horse movie, but I'd almost like to see it. Rumor has it that Catherine the Great had horses lowered on pulleys from the ceiling of her bedroom for relations purposes, so the practice can't be all bad. I've never seen "Trust" or A.S.'s first Hartley flick "The Unbelievable Truth" and haven't been able to find either at Blockbuster. I did see her in "Factotum;" she didn't have much of a part in that, and I wasn't quite sure what to make of the movie

7:52 PM  
Blogger TXB said...

I believe Joe once had me tape Hartley's "Henry Fool" for him while I wuz housesitting. I never watched it, but I just checked out the sequel to it on DVD: "Fay Grim." Not horrible, but not as good as some of the early HH films.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Carroll Garten said...

Joe taped a copy of Zelig for me once. He said I was the title character.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home