Gibblers

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Possibly Useless Information


For those of you who are Illinois residents, I discovered today that your I-Pass works on the West Virginia Turnpike. I don't know if IL and WV are the only two states that have this express pass reciprocity or not, but it's worth checking out. It saved my dad $3.75.


Abraham Lincoln is experiencing a resurgence in popularity. As I was driving from my parents' house in DeKalb to my boyhood home in Tennessee last week, I drove among my fellow Illinoisans with Honest Abe's face on their plates and left the Land of Lincoln for Indiana, which now declares itself "The Boyhood Home of Abraham Lincoln" on all welcome signs. Call me ignorant, I was never aware of this until last week. Indiana is suddenly touting its Lincoln connection like "shucks, maybe we should get in on this hot action." Go to this website to find out more. Spencer County, IN has gone all out. Anyway, then I was in Kentucky, which we all know is the "Birthplace of President Abraham Lincoln." Oh sure, they're proud of it now. They made Honest Abe one of the Five Stars Over Kentucky, along with Muhammad Ali, Colonel Sanders, and two horses. Or was it six stars? It was something like that. Then I get into northeast Tennessee and drive past Lincoln Memorial University, "honoring the legacy of Abraham Lincoln through rigorous scholarly training" or some such thing.

And there was actually a lot more, but I'm going to bed now. What really got me was that Indiana thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rick said...

The Indiana bragging is a bit of a stretch. I mean, his funeral train passed through about 10 states--are we gonna now hear: "Ohio: Abe Lincoln would've loved us if he'd been alive in his coffin."
Argh...

7:02 AM  
Blogger Carroll Garten said...

Ever see "C.S.A." where he died in exile in Canada after the Southern victory? That was a different sort of flick.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home