Gibblers

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

This week's WTF

OK, Tim's illiterate student gave us all a good chuckle (and panic attack for the future of mankind), but at least he's a young 'un. I was just reviewing the changes that one of my editors made to a story I wrote.

I wrote "... as the need arose."

He changed it to "as the need arouse."

WFT? Not only is he all grown up, but he gets paid to EDIT the work of professional journalists. Having worked with him for a few years, I can sadly say this is not a fluke. In fact, I can't tell you how many times I've seen editors change words or sentences to be incorrect. And we're talking big, national magazines.

Sad world we live in, huh?

2 Comments:

Blogger TXB said...

Yeah, the Philosophy teacher here reams his students for not knowing basic grammar--won't let'em pass without learning a few things...like, for example, the fact that they should say, "John USE to believe in a just God." As for your editor...the words of Ricky Roma in come to mind: "Your job is to help us...not to fuck us up!"

11:57 AM  
Blogger TXB said...

I'm not even sure we have many "do-gooders" anymore in govt.

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home