Gibblers

Friday, April 04, 2008

The Ego Is Our Only Enemy

From the movie "Revolver," written and directed by Guy Ritchie:

"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it. It's the only reason you get up in the morning. The only reason you suffer the shitty boss, the blood, the sweat, and the tears. This is because you want people to know how good, attractive, generous, funny, wild, and clever you really are. Fear or revere me, but please think I'm special. We share an addiction. We're approval junkies. We're all in it for the slap on the back and the gold watch, the hip, hip, hoo-fucking-rah. Look at the clever boy with the badge, polishing his trophy. Shine on, you crazy diamond...because we're all just monkeys wrapped in suits, begging for the approval of others. If we knew this, we wouldn't do this. And if you had a second chance, you would ask...why?"

2 Comments:

Blogger Gerry said...

Truckers say that the price of gas is the only enemy- so they decided to stop driving- for one day- and then the man raised the price another dime.

7:09 AM  
Blogger dan said...

I get up in the morning not for my ego, but because I want to be paid.
With the money I get paid, I don't buy sports cars, yachts and learjets. But instead I spend my money on more practical stuff like groceries, clothes, gasoline and bills. I'm just ordinary and this is what works for me. No ego, just pragmatism - doing what works.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home