Gibblers

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Win a trip to hell!


OK, OK, I know, I'm failing on my wifely duties. My poor hubby creates this fab blog and I don't post crap. Before he seeks an annulment, I figure I should cough up something. So without further ado...

Perusing through our Sunday selections, The New York Times and the Austin-American Statesman (a rag, but we figured we should read our hometown paper since we pay taxes here), Rick spots this gem: Win A Trip With Nick Kristof (http://www.nytimes.com/marketing/winatrip). "WIN a trip with Nick Kristof?" Rick poses. "This is a prize?"

I can see it now: Some poor sap will arrive with a suitcase of swim trunks and trashy novels and wind up getting whisked away on a moped from the Russian Market in Phnom Penh while Nick tries to scrounge up the ransom demand of 1 million rand (which is like 2 cents in US dollars). Of course, he'll be able to break out his binoculars on site-seeing trips, like to Tuel Slang prison, where good old Pol Pot tortured his victims with scorpion boxes. The dude can mingle with the locals - you know, all the people missing limbs thanks to the landmines dropped by yours truly during the Vietnam War. Or they can hang with Nick's friends, the 11-year-old prostitues whose freedom Nick purchased only to have them return to the brothel to get their opium fix. It'll be just a yuck a minute with old Nicky.

The picture I've posted has nothing to do with this blog, but reading through past entries, I noticed the pressure to include fancy graphics and photos and interactive PowerPoint presentations and such. Unfortunately, since I have a Mac, I don't have that handy-dandy right-click feature available that allows me to copy photos from the Web. So this photo of our dog will have to suffice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

My bad. I got my third-world currencies confused. The Cambodian currency is the riel, not the rand. That would be South Africa's currency.

8:11 AM  
Blogger TXB said...

Prolly wuz a misprint. Should've read, "Win a trip with The Weekly Standard's Bill Kristol"...though, again, the "Win?" question would come to mind. Man, this blog is all about Win now.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home